At first I thought it was because she was sick and then I attributed it to teething. But after almost 2 weeks, I'm thinking I need some help/advice from my friends...What do I do when she won't go to sleep and once she finally gets to sleep, she won't stay asleep?
Last night for example, I started at 8:45 trying to get her to go to sleep. All I used to have to do was turn off the lights, turn on the music, sway her for 20 seconds and put her down and she'd drift off to sleep. NOT ANYMORE! I do that and walk away and before I can get out the door, she is standing up in her crib screaming. We've tried to let her "cry it out" and it does nothing. Last night we let her cry for 20 minutes and then went up and swayed her for a few minutes and then put her back down. Of course she screamed and we let her cry for 10 minutes that time. Then I went up and just swayed her until she was asleep enough to when I put her down (almost 10:15 by this time), she didn't wake up. Not only are my arms and back sore from swaying a 24 pound person for 20 minutes, but she woke up at 2:00 again anyways! She was up from 2:00-4:00. This happens often now.
Advice? Even if you don't have a blog, you can still leave a comment under "anonymous"...just put your name at the end of your comment so I know who it's from.
Coffee, Cats, and Deadlines: A Day in My Life
5 weeks ago


You poor thing. Every kid is different so all I can tell u is what worked for Gabriel. He did the same thing...I thought I was so lucky to have a kid that went to slep on his own. I tried @ things...first try not picking her up. She is waiting for u to come in and help her to sleep because she doesnt want u to leave. Second I would stand in his room close to the crib where he could see me (sort of in the dark room)and every night i would move closer and closer to the door until i didnt have to be in the room anymore. If he would wake up, i would wait a few min then lay him down and pat him. Just try to see what works. I wish someone had advice for my new one that only takes 30 min power naps and wakes up all night lol they go through stages and soon she will move onto another stage that makes u wonder what to do lol good luck! miss u guys. We r coming in May and leaving June. Hope to maybe see u and meet Emma! Love ya Kim
ReplyDeletePoor JDurr! I think we're inching into that territory. ML was up from 10-1 last night. When she first woke up, I didn't go in - I tried to let her cry it out, but after about 15 minutes I couldn't do it anymore. I tried to put her down in her own bed about 4 times in this 3 hour period and tried to put her in ours about 4 more (I think our bed = play time in her head). Anyway, finally, at 1, I was SO tired that and hazy that I put her down and let her scream (her door is literally RIGHT beside ours...it sounded like she was screaming right next to me) and I was so, so tired I don't even know how long it took...10-15 minutes? I'm always afraid to let her cry when she wakes up...what if she's hurting or had a nightmare and really needs some comfort...I don't have any great advice except set a fairly strict bed routine and try not to go back (way easier said than done) and if she wakes up, try to let her cry for a bit before you go in. If you figure something out, let me know! What's crazy is that even though ML got 3 less hours of sleep than she normally gets last night, she STILL woke up at her normal time. Speaking of...I've heard that one way to help sleep problems is to nap less. That's not an option for us because on a GOOD day, ML only takes one nap for MAYBE 2 hours tops. I don't know what Emma's schedule is, and I know how hard it is to havy a cranky child, but it might be worth it to test it one night. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew the answer... Colton went through that about Emma's age too. We ended up having to let him cry it out for a few nights and then he adjusted. I wish I could think of something a little bit easier to try. Good Luck!
ReplyDelete