June 16, 2010

Farewell Fairy Land, Hello Real World

The time has come. I told myself when I left work 9 months ago that if a great opportunity came my way, then I would go for it. That opportunity came up about a week ago and I accepted the position this past Friday. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. It all happened so fast but I really feel like it is the right decision for us right now.

It might be surprising to some of you, but I am actually returning to my previous employer. I never thought in a million years I would go back there, but sometimes things just work out for the best. Now I am able to go back as a manager and work part time (36 hours). I always loved the work that I did there, the people I worked with and the clients I was assigned to. It was only the amount of hours I had to put in that pushed me to leave. The flexibility of this job is amazing because I'll be able to work from home a few days a week and if ever Emma gets sick, I'll be able to take off and be with her. Another bonus is that I already know all of my coworkers and all of the clients I will be working on. It makes it so much less scary to go back to work when it's all you've known since graduation!

I will dearly miss being with my little girl day in and day out. She is almost 18 months old and I have only worked for 3.5 of those months. Therefore, this will be a challenge for me. Thankfully, I am not worried in the slightest about Emma adjusting. She loved this daycare for 3.5 months and I know she'll enjoy it again. I think she'll love it and it'll be good for her.

We'll also miss our playgroup that we have become so close to. I don't think the last 9 months would have gone as smoothly without them and I appreciate all of their friendships!

I tentatively start mid-July (pending when daycare can get us back in) so at least I have a month to let it all sink in. I know how blessed I am to have been able to spend this much time with her and I have loved every second of it. There were times when it was hard and exhausting, but it was worth it. I was able to be with her for so many milestones and I know that just because I'm going back to work, it doesn't mean that I'll miss her growing up. It just means that now Josh is going to have to fight me for the opportunity to put her to bed each night!

Any working moms out there that have any tips for me, I'm all ears!

6 comments:

  1. You got to look out for your family so I think you're making a great decision! I know if a fantasmic opportunity came my way, I'd probably take it! Good luck girl! Hopefully I can see you before you start back. I'll be back in B'ham for the Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shocked!!! I would never have thought you would go back, but it sounds like an awesome opportunity...in fact, I'm kinda jealous! I am excited that you'll be downtown!! We can all go to lunch again!!! Emma will be GREAT at daycare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a transition, but it sounds like it will go smoothly-- and if Emma enjoyed her daycare before, she will love it now and will play every day away-- good for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you - It sounds like a great opportunity - Does this mean you will be going to new manager training this year because if you are, you should really go to Chicago. I will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO jealous! I wish that teachers could work "part-time" ha! I'm so glad you've gotten to enjoy all the sweet moments that happen when they are little! I think you are hitting it just right... When Emma gets ready for the "terrible" twos or threes or whenever it starts to happen, you will have somewhat of a break in work! Good luck! Enjoy this last month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's great! The one piece of advice I will give you is to enjoy Emma when you are home. Working makes me enjoy my children when we are together. I spend time with them when I get home and worry about the other things later.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters