Can I take back my comment in the previous post about how Emma's stomach must have toughened up? I guess it was just because she hadn't had the medicine in 24 hours because now that we're back on it, she has MORE than made up for it. Her poor tummy. I am going through at least twice the amount of diapers that I typically use. Only 6 more days of this antibiotic...
Although her tummy is feeling worse, the nap times are getting tremendously better. Yesterday it took some doing, but I did finally get her to sleep around 10:20. Can you believe she slept until 12:20? She rarely takes 2 hours naps so this was a fantastic surprise. I also think it is funny how she wakes up after exactly 2 hours...how does she do that? It cracks me up. She's done that ever since we brought her home from the hospital. Maybe she'll have my sense of scheduling and organization. A mother can dream, can't she?!
Today's morning nap is going even smoother. I have found that even though it hurts my heart, the thing I must do is lay her down in her crib before she falls asleep and walk away. When I do this Emma starts crying of course. All I can think about are her thoughts which I picture go something like this: "Why is she walking away? Why is she leaving me here to fend for myself? Why doesn't she love me anymore?" It's very hard on a mom to do this, but after 9 months I think I am finally getting the hang of it. The thing is that if you rock her to sleep, she will fall straight to sleep. However, it quickly backfires when you try to put her in the crib. She is wide awake and screaming. And by that point she is also cranky because she has been woken up. Therefore, this is what works for us. It might not be what most people do and it might not sound like the best way to do it. But, at least for now, that's what I'm doing. This morning the crying only lasted 2 minutes and she was asleep in 6 minutes. My conclusion: This is working!
Coffee, Cats, and Deadlines: A Day in My Life
5 weeks ago


Sounds like the perfect way to do it! I hope her tummy feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteWe have the same nap trouble AND sometimes at bedtime. It is SO hard to let them cry though! I eat my words about it every time I go back in the room...but like you, I'm slowly getting better. I don't know what's worse...letting them cry or knowing that by them staying up/not getting a good nap you're depriving them of much needed rest. Tough call. I hope Emma feels much better soon! Hang in there with the antibiotic!
ReplyDelete