October 21, 2009

2 Tubes, 3 Stitches

I woke a very sleepy baby girl up at 5:30 this morning. We arrived at the hospital to get the tubes at 5:50. At 7:20 they took her back with the doctor and by 7:35 she was back in my arms. The surgery went great! The doctor said she had two ear infections again so he was happy that we went ahead with the surgery. I just don't think they ever would've healed on their own. It does explain why she wasn't eating quite as much, but she has not shown any other signs that she had ear infections again. Poor little girl. They discharged us and we were on our way...

...That would've been the entire story had there not been a mishap last night. I decided that I would actually go out with some girls from church last night and my fantastic friend, Jaime. It was planned before Emma's surgery or else I wouldn't have gone. We went to Sips 'n Strokes which is a place where a group of people sit in a room while an art instructor demonstrates how to paint a particular painting and everybody paints the same thing. During this night out, I looked at my phone and saw 3 missed calls from Josh. Uh oh! I called back quickly and I heard in his voice that something was wrong. He said "Emma cut herself and it won't stop bleeding." A mother who is away from her child and has no transportation to get back to her (I had ridden with a friend) does not want to hear these words. Thankfully our session was almost over so I wasn't away for too long and was able to come home in time to hold my baby and comfort her a little.

As I was doing this...


...Here's what happened...I had laid out a pair of pajamas for Emma to wear to bed last night. It was a specific pair only because we were instructed to bring her in a two piece outfit. She only has 2 pairs of pajamas that are two pieces. One she has never worn and the other she has worn but there are no footies in it. Since it's cold outside, I wanted her to wear the ones she's never worn before. Apparently that was a mistake. Josh noticed that there were huge tags inside the clothes and they had sharp edges. Naturally he took them out. He decided that the best way to do this was to come downstairs, get a brand new razor blade out of the pouch, and go back upstairs to take care of it. He took the tags out of both items of clothing and then put on her shirt. As he turned around to pick up her pants, she went from a sitting position, to a crawling position and then used her Gumby-like hands to stretch out and reach several feet in front of her. She saw something shiny and new on the floor and wanted to investigate. He immediately scooped her up and didn't think it was that bad. Then it started to bleed more and then he couldn't get it to stop. And the last thing a 9 month old wants is for somebody to restrain their finger by putting pressure on it. He called the pediatrician's office and the nurse said that as long as he could get some gauze around it and stop the bleeding and make sure that the blood didn't soak through the gauze, she should be fine. That happened and she was fine.

When we arrived at the hospital this morning, Josh requested that a nurse look at it. She took off the gauze and it was fine. She said it looks great and she won't need stitches. Great! But then two minutes later it started bleeding profusely again. She now has 3 stitches on her index finger of her right hand. I really pray this is the last time she has stitches! But if she follows in her father's footsteps, it might not be. Therefore, I am requesting that everybody say a prayer now to keep her safe!

2 comments:

  1. Bless her little heart! I'm praying that Miss Emma will not have any more stitches! Glad the surgery went well and she's on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Sweet little Emma!!! I'm glad you requested that the nurse look at her little finger. It's amazing what they are able to get into! I'm so glad her tube surgery went well too! I CAN NOT believe how quick the surgery was!

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters