October 12, 2009

Doctor Daze

As I mentioned yesterday, Emma had two doctor appointments today. One with an ENT specialist and one with her pediatrician for her regular check up. It has been a long day of driving around, waiting around and seeing doctor after doctor.

The ENT was first. They first had her take a hearing test. She did a great job and her hearing is excellent. I could've told them that though because any little noise will distract her. We were not surprised at all to hear that her ears were working wonderfully. Then they sent us to the ENT doctor. He told us what we anticipated which was that he suggests tubes. We don't have to get her tubes but since she has had 3 within 6 months, she is a candidate. Especially since she went through so much with this last infection...antibiotics, shots, more antibiotics, more shots...vicious cycle! So we're going to get the tubes (probably in a few weeks). I had originally thought that you had to be ear infection free before you could get tubes, but that is incorrect. The doctor said that if he had to wait on that he would never get to do the surgeries. I knew that the procedure took very little time, but I didn't realize how short it actually was. The doctor said it only takes about one minute per ear. She'll probably be a little fussy for about 20 or 30 minutes but then she'll be as good as new.

Then we were off to the next doctor's office. I thought (and still stand by) that the nurse told me her appointment was at noon. Well, it turns out it wasn't actually until 2:00. Thankfully the wonderful people there worked us in and it wasn't long before we saw her pediatrician. Here are her stats:

Weight: 20 pounds 6 ounces (75th percentile)
Length: 27.5 inches (50th percentile)
Head: 18.25 inches (90th percentile)

I couldn't believe how big her head measured! Really? 90th percentile?? Does she have a big head and I just don't realize it because I'm her mom? Well, we think it is quite proportional to her and that it must just mean that she has a very large brain in there thinking away!

The doctor also told us that the bumps should be fine and we just need to put some Neosporin on them. Phew! However, then he went on to tell us that he saw an ulcer on the back of her throat. What?! This explains why she hasn't wanted to eat the past few days (because it hurts to swallow). He said it should take care of itself over the next few days. He also saw where another tooth is possibly about to break through on the top. Finally! She hasn't gotten another tooth in four months now. I thought they'd all pop up after the first two came through...untrue.

Throughout the day, Emma spit up 4 times. Three times on me and only once on Josh. And of course the one on him was so small it was hardly considered spit up. I think her tummy was upset because of all the antibiotics...last day of medicine is tomorrow! Thank God! I know Emma will be glad to be medicine free for the first time in over a month. Poor little girl. She was a trooper all day though even though she missed her first nap. She fell asleep as I pulled into the driveway and I gently laid her down in her crib and she slept for a little over an hour and a half. Now I'm off to try to give her a bottle...

3 comments:

  1. Awe bless her! I hope she's all better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think her head looks perfect! I hope the tubes will keep her healthy for a while... poor lil girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little Emma! What excellent stats! I think the tubes will be a good thing - and she'll be infection, ulcer and bump-free before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters