September 29, 2009

Not Again!

Emma started tugging at her ear again yesterday. I took her to the doctor today and she has two ear infections...again. Most likely the previous antibiotic did begin to clear up the infection but the ear never fully recovered and then it got worse and started all over. Since we've tried all three normal ways of curing ear infections, we are now at a last resort. She got a shot today and we go back tomorrow and Thursday for another shot. Then Friday she will begin a 7 day antibiotic. Poor thing!! To say the least I am not a needle person...I dread them, I hate them, I run from them. It kills me when Emma has to get them too. I wonder though - is it really necessary for the nurse to tell me that this particular shot is going to hurt Emma more than most shots. Why must she tell me this? Does it help anything? NO. It just makes me tear up before she even pulls out the shot. It's even more sad because innocent Emma is sitting on the chair just smiling away at this nurse and has no idea what is about to hit her. Breaks a mother's heart!

As usual Emma has not been fussy or shown any signs of an ear infection (much less two). I was second guessing myself about even taking her in to see the doctor. I always wonder if I'm being "one of those people" who just take the child in at the drop of a hat because I never have any real proof of sickness. The only signs I have are that she tugs at her ear sometimes and in the middle of the night she'll cry out a few times. Normally she makes no movement or noise during the night. So when she started crying out last night, I knew she must have an ear infection again. Thank goodness I took her in before they got worse!

If she gets another ear infection or if this one doesn't clear up like it should, she'll most likely be recommended for tubes. I hope she doesn't have to get them but I know several people who have had them, including my nephew, and I know it has helped tremendously. So, we'll see what happens. Pray that this clears up quickly for our ladybug.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Emma!! Ear infections are so tough - it seems like babies pull on their ears for EVERYTHING...wouldn't it be nice if there were an "ear infection sign?" I definitely think I might be "one of those people." Maybe because I'm a crazy worrying freak? Who knows. I will say Sandner's cousin just got tubes, and they weren't bad at all - not even the "getting them" process. It seems like it's so common these days. I hope we don't get any ear infections...it's all I can do to deal with the kidney reflux!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers up for Emma!
    Your post made me smile...not because Emma is sick (bless her) but about your needle phobia!

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters