December 4, 2009

Victory is Mine

We're back to having nap troubles. The routine still works (lights out, lullaby bear on, Emma's head hits my shoulder). The problem occurs when I lay her down in the crib now. See the problem is that I know she's super tired and that she needs a nap...but she fights it! Why do babies fight it so hard? If only we all knew then what we know now...that we'd give anything for a nap in the middle of the day!

She will be almost asleep and then all of a sudden it's like she realizes she's about to fall asleep and thinks she might miss something. So she pops up and then stands up. It's all over when she stands up because there are too many things to distract her. The things that distract her can be anything from her pretty curtains to having fun bouncing up and down.

Usually I give it about 15 or 20 minutes and if she isn't asleep, I go back up there. Basically the whole thing starts over and not only does she end up not taking a nap, but I end up exhausted! Until today...

Today, I put her down and it happened again. BUT this time I just let her cry it out. It took 31 minutes, but she is now asleep. Although it makes me feel like a bad mother for letting her cry, it makes me feel even worse when she's cranky all afternoon because of how tired she is and I could have prevented it.

2 comments:

  1. You both have friends in the Hennessy household. Exact same thing. And. To top it all off. We've been running on NO naps since this ear infection business. In fact, if we have gotten a nap, it's been in the CAR! 31 minutes???! You poor, poor mama. I know that's heart-wrenching - but I'm glad you toughed it out and WON!

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters