Me and Emma went to visit Alissa and sweet baby John Hinton this weekend while Josh was hunting. It is about a 4 hour drive there. Which is just long enough for a toddler to get annoyed. This was the third trip that I have attempted since Emma was born. And this is the third time that I have had to leave early. This might have been the record topper with a mere 19 hours of being at Alissa's house. We had all kinds of plans made for the two days I would be there. Needless to say, we ended up doing none of it.
Everything was going according to plan (as it usually does when I'm with Alissa) and we were almost ready to leave the house at 9:00 when Emma all of a sudden threw up! She has only thrown up one time before, so it definitely startled me. But it wasn't that much and she was acting perfectly fine afterward. So we thought maybe something didn't sit right on her tummy and it just happened. We decided to give it 30 minutes and see how she did before we left.
Without going in to too much detail, I will shorten it to say that we had two volcanic eruptions of vomit come out of that little girl before 11:00 and we clearly decided to forgo our day. Alissa's mom came and picked up John Hinton so that he didn't catch whatever Emma had.
I put her down for a nap at 11:30 and she slept for a little over an hour. I called her pediatrician and asked them what I needed to do. When she woke up from her nap, I gave her the recommended tiny dose of Pedialyte. She was SO thirsty that she was literally licking the inside of the cup. I couldn't take it anymore, so I gave her more. I knew it could end up to be a disaster, but I thought it was a good sign that she was thirsty. She kept everything down so after a couple of hours, I gave her some Cheerios.
By 3:00, she was still okay. So I packed us up and we headed home. I really wanted to stay and see everybody, but who knows what was wrong with her and I didn't want to infect anybody there. And I knew Alissa wanted John Hinton to come and I wouldn't want him to come back and run the risk of catching something.
We started our 4 hour journey back home. After less than five minutes of being on the interstate, we hit traffic! Not slow moving traffic or even stop and go traffic...we hit dead stopped - parking lot traffic. Really? I thought to myself that God was trying to teach me patience that day...and apparently how to have a better gag reflex. It ended up taking us a full extra hour to get home. Emma fell asleep one mile from our exit and went straight to bed when I walked in the door with her.
I didn't have much time to take photos during all the chaos. But I did take a couple after her nap when she appeared to be feeling back to normal.
She LOVED this Curious George Jack in the Box. I will be purchasing one for her shortly!
While we were in the stopped traffic, I put my car in park and took a couple of pictures of Emma.
She doesn't look sick to me!
And this is a random one of Nala that I took before our trip. She had curled up in my suitcase!


Reading that stressed me out!! I'm glad Emma started feeling better and I hope that ride wasn't TOO bad!
ReplyDelete