October 7, 2010

What is This For?

This was the sentence that started the lowpoint of my day yesterday. It started on Tuesday night. My ordinary cold took a turn for the worst when I had a fever spike. But I took Nyquil and Motrin and by morning I felt great. Well, I wasn't aware of this nugget of information, but did you know that fevers are usually fine in the morning and tend to spike in the afternoon? By 1:00 yesterday afternoon I felt terrible again. I finished the returns I was working on (such dedication) and left early to head to the doctor.

When the nurse took me back to ask the usual questions, I told her all of my symptoms. She pulled out a swab and handed me a tissue. I looked at the tissue and then asked, "What is this for?" She looked at me with a pitiful glance as if to say "Bless this girl's heart, she has no idea what is about to come." Instead her actual response was, "You're gonna need it after I'm done." Hmmmm really? Turns out she was giving me a flu test. For all those people out there like me who have never had one they take a swab and go up one nostril and then it comes out the other one!! Yes, you read that correctly. It HOOKS your nose. It burns, it's uncomfortable and it made my nose bleed. Way to kick a girl when she's down.

After my results came back and I talked with the doctor, it turns out that not only do I have the FLU but I have STREP to really top it off. Then she told me I can't go back to work until Tuesday. What?! Then I reasoned with her that I supposed that was okay because I brought my computer home from work and that meant I could just work from home. But she looked at me baffled and said, "No, you can't work AT ALL today or tomorrow. You must rest." Really?! I suppose the flu does not care that there's a deadline coming up.

So today, I have to stay in bed. I didn't see Emma at all last night for fear that I'd spread it to her. If she or Josh start to present any symptoms I already have the prescriptions to call in for them that my doctor wrote. Please pray that neither of them get it!!

7 comments:

  1. Flu tests are the worst!!!! Have Josh take Emma for a flu shot asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! I hate that you feel so terrible! Say a prayer for a speedy recovery and Josh and Emma don't get it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon!

    Since when do flu tests exist??? I might never go to the doctor if i suspect I have the flu now! Last time I had the flu they just asked how I felt and gave me meds and told me to stay in bed until I felt better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate that you don't feel well-- watch lots of reality trash on tv-- that will help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better SOON! I'll say a prayer that you don't spread those germs to sweet Emma and Josh! By the way, I can't believe you worked with BOTH Flu and Strep!! I can't believe you didn't feel to terrible to get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that's how they test for the flu! Terrible! I hope you feel better and I'll say a prayer that your germs stay with you alone.

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters