September 9, 2010

Teaching Mom & Dad a Few Things

The tables have turned and now Emma is teaching me and Josh a few things! None of us knew any sign language before but now we're forced to figure some of it out so we can understand what she's trying to say. For the last few weeks she has been doing all these new signs. This morning when I dropped her off in class, I asked her teacher what one of the signs meant. She said that in the Toddler class they no longer use sign language because they encourage speaking more, so she didn't know either. On my way out I saw her previous teachers in the Wobbler classroom and I asked them. Turns out that this sign she has been doing means "flower." Who knew? All this time I was wondering if it meant she was thirsty or didn't feel good. Apparently she just likes the word flower.

Her favorite one to do is the "shoe" sign. We always say, "Emma are you ready to put your shoes on and go?" And she kept doing this sign. After a few times, I put together that it MUST mean shoes. Sure enough, I asked her Wobbler teachers this morning and it does. It's so funny what they pick up.

Emma now knows these signs: more, please, thank you, milk, hungry, shoes, and flower. I'm sure she knows more but for now that is all I know of! She is actually saying the words "thank you" now which is really cute. I don't even have to prompt her. She just automatically does it when I hand her something she asks for.

2 comments:

  1. What manners! I always have to say: "Colton, what do you say?" to get him to say please or thank you. Emma needs to whip him into shape!

    ReplyDelete

 

Free Counters from SimpleCount.com
Free Web Counters